We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
We create superstars
The project is a hands-on, four month program (with a paid internship for 2 months at the end of the project), designed to train individuals to be productive residents and place them in a post-secondary academic program or maintain gainful employment.
Applicants work in a small group setting and use real-world strategies to learn the skills necessary to be competitive in one of our project tracks. While participating in the program, applicants receive training for success, coaching, and are given opportunities to build their professional network.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Must be at least 18 years old, as of the time the application is completed
- Reside in the Midlands region of South Carolina (including Aiken, Barnwell, Chester, Edgefield, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lancaster, Lexington, Newberry, Richland, Saluda, and York Counties)
- Currently out of work and not enrolled in school
- No associate’s or bachelor’s degree
- Are not currently in a certification or college program
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Direct access and support applying for your collegiate/career choice
- Support and resources for getting into and through academic programs
- Access to our network of professionals and corporate partners
- Paid internships
- Exposure to areas otherwise unattainable for participants
- Applicants learn how to use the world around them to learn and succeed
- Alternative methods that ensure academic/career success
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHEN DOES THIS START?
The Project is set to launch August 2022.
WHY DO I HAVE TO BE VACCINATED?
The project will meet in-person. To ensure everyone interacts safely, all participants will need to be vaccinated. We will support any interested applicants with determining the logistics of getting vaccinated. Please feel free to contact us using the email or number listed below to ask additional questions.
HOW LONG DOES THE PROGRAM TAKE?
The entire project takes six months to complete, but it is broken up into tiers (or stages). Participants must complete the four month project, followed by a two month paid internship. Scholars can then decide to remain in their position, enroll into an academic program, or both.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
There is no cost to participate.
DOES THE PROJECT MEET EVERYDAY?
Yes. Scholars meet daily from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. There is a one hour break for lunch from 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
IS THERE A DRESS CODE?
Yes. We feel that participants should dress for the job they hope to receive. While we do not require professional dress, we do ask that participants wear semi-professional attire. This means no revealing clothing, athletic wear, tube tops, mini-skirts, sagging pants, etc. Fridays are dress down days and scholars are allowed to wear business casual attire. We will review this requirement during orientation. If anyone needs assistance securing clothing please let staff know and we will provide assistance.
CAN I STUDY BEFORE THE ASSESSMENT? WILL MY SCORE KEEP ME FROM BEING SELECTED TO PARTICIPATE?
There is no need to study for the assessment. In fact, it is better if you DO NOT study for the assessment. The assessment is not graded. It is used to help staff place you in a track where you will be successful. We do not use the assessment to select participants.